A wasp is an insect-like bee but cannot produce honey. It has wings and has stripes of black and yellow all over the body. Like the bee sting, wasp sting is painful. These bites are common during the summer and rainy months when the weather is warm and when a person is stung by a wasp there are not many complications, unlike other insect bites. Read ridgetimes.co.za/96243/symptoms-and-treatment-of-bites-and-stings/ to know more.
Wasp has stingers which contain poison that can get into the person when it stings and can sting multiple times as unlike bees the stinger does not get stuck. Though wasp venom is not dangerous, the victim is in great pain and has skin irritations.
How to know if you are stung by a wasp?
If you are not allergic to stings, you will hardly have any symptoms if attacked by a wasp. You will feel a burning sensation or a shooting pain at the place where the wasp has stung, along with swelling, redness accompanied by itching.
To identify a wasp sting, you will see a white mark around the injured place. The pain reduces in a matter of few hours, and the raised skin will reduce, most injuries can be treated at home. People who are allergic to stings might have to visit a doctor.
At times there are more noticeable reactions to the wasp sting and is referred to as large local reactions. Those people who see these massive local reactions are those who have sting allergies and more swelling and redness which can last up to 2 to 3 days followed by vomiting sensation and sickness. Like normal reaction, these large local reactions also subside over a period of 6 days to a week. If you experience pain and discomfort, visit your doctor who will prescribe an antihistamine.
What is Anaphylaxis?
Some people who are stung by wasps have extreme allergic reactions, and this condition is called anaphylaxis. When wasp stings, sometimes the body is in a state of shock immediately after the attack and such cases should be treated by experienced medical professionals. When a person experiences anaphylaxis ensure that the treatment is quickly provided.
Face or lips are swollen.
Respiratory issues which includes difficulty in breathing.
Reduction in blood pressure.
Diarrhea and vomit.
Unconsciousness or feeling light-headed.
Increases pulse rate or slow pulse rate.
Treating wasp stings:
Normal to moderate reactions due to a bite can be treated at home by removing the venom by washing the area with water and soap. Later you can apply some ice to help reduce swelling. You can also cover the injury with a bandage. Ibuprofen can be consumed in case you are suffering from pain, while antihistamine medicines aid in reducing itching. For skin irritations use a hydrocortisone cream to soothe it.
If the reactions are severe, then you should go to a care provider. Epipen should be used when you notice any symptoms of wasp sting as it helps in calming the immune system. You may also be treated with steroids in case your breathing is not steady.